[ExI] news

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 17:48:36 UTC 2017

Well, duh, I did not know and would probably not have noticed had I watched
TV news, which I don't.

It seems that news, according to ABC, NBC, and CBS, consists of what
politicians are talking about.

In last Sunday's NYT, Nicholas Kristof (easily Googled) reports that
independent issues reporting, defined as not related to some politician's
utterances or the debates, totaled 36 minutes, all networks news shows
combined.

So 'news' is what some pol said, then what some opposing pol said and so
on.  Where are people getting issues news?  Not from TV.

Coverage of issues is not the concern of network news; ratings is.  Duh.

So any survey of people who get their news from these networks is
determined, it would seem, by the person's political views rather than
independent evidence, which maybe is supplied only by newspapers and
magazines, who also have to keep up their ratings.

If I were to be asked my views on, say, global warming, the very last thing
I would do would be to ask myself what my favorite politician thinks, but
apparently I am in a very small minority.

love  bill/dad/hey you!