[ExI] ai and job loss

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jan 9 01:31:00 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:43 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] ai and job loss

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 1:50 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

​> ​>…John, your post seems too pessimistic by a factor of 2pi…

​>…Spike, I sincerely hope you're right and I'm wrong, but recent actions of a certain billionaire after the election has not increased my confidence that I will still be alive in 4 years. I'm optimistic in that I still think the odds of me being above ground in 2021 are somewhat better than 50%, …John K Clark

Hi John,

Short version: Trump is crazy ja.  I don’t think he is crazy enough to start a nuclear war with China, and I don’t think they will nuke their best customers, the nation that owes them a trillion dollars.  The North Koreans are not far enough along to be a major threat in that department.  Yet.  Russia, hmmm, I doubt they would pull the trigger.

As for proletariat revolt, I don’t consider that risk very high, and even if they do, I can’t see it as successful.  I can imagine some areas becoming far worse than they are now: Chicago springs to mind.  But most places would be very unsympathetic to rebellion methinks.

My family was hardcore Union in 1861, and I expect to continue that tradition should it come to that.