[ExI] jobs

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:58:04 UTC 2017

Ja.  Another approach is to design jobs for less literate

Dumbing down jobs has a short history.  When I saw computers with
color-coded inputs I thought: "What took you so long?"  Often I thought "If
it were left up to engineers to design something, only engineers could use
it."  Too smart to think of ways dumb people can foul up simple tasks ("Is
it plugged in?")

Actually, a ninth grade test is just too hard.  Maybe what is needed is
some research that compares (correlates) reading and math levels with
ability to do jobs.  That way you could hire people who are just right for
your job.  I doubt that that German company had no jobs requiring less than
9th grade levels.  What if someone tests 12 grade level?  You might not
want him/her.  People who are too smart for the job have higher rates of
absenteeism and quitting and just being bored.  Good psychologists on the
hiring staff can save a company millions.

Some days I wish I had gone into industrial psych - money would have been
much better!

Unfortunately for us, grade inflation is impacting hiring etc.  Don't want
to hurt the poor little dummies' feelings.

Mississippi now has a test 2nd graders must pass to get into the 3rd
grade.  A big mess, naturally and angry parents....

I once gave some tests to a child who, I found out later, had been to many
clinics and had been tested dozens of times.  Parents simply would not
accept that he was mentally retarded.

bill w