[ExI] Question for the psych squad

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Jul 1 14:09:46 UTC 2017

Bill W wrote:

>> So the question I have is how are people with severe OCD different than
>> computer programs stuck in infinite loops? Are there known cases of people
>> who if left untreated would continue performing their compulsion until
>> exhaustion? Or people who literally cannot stop thinking about their
>> obsession while awake?
>>
>> Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

> ​I never heard of an OCD person who got permanently stuck in any thought
> or action.

Even without any intervention? Like being alone with no medication or
human contact? The reason I specify this is that I have never heard of a
computer permanently stuck in an infinite loop either. Somebody inevitably
gets impatient and reboots the the thing. Also vital necessities might
intervene on the OCD subject like physical exhaustion, need to use the
bathroom, eat, drink, sleep, etc. Those kind of things might reset or
suspend the compulsive behavior etc. Like a multithreading CPU putting a
task in the background, while it works on a higher priority task.

Stuart LaForge