[ExI] AI finds it too easy to manipulate humans

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jun 5 21:21:08 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On

>…People will attach powerful feelings to dogs, cats, snakes, rats - why not a sex doll?  Some people will talk to anyone, or maybe anything, that will listen to them, because they have worn out their friends and family with prattle… BillK

Ja and you gave me a perfect introduction into one of my favorite topics, in which I hope my patient readers will indulge.

The task of creating mechanical analogues to human sex organs is a remarkably difficult engineering task.  This explains why we really don’t have them yet, even with a ready market worth billions.

But I think we are right on the verge of having a passable chat-bot, and we are already there if we allow use of an avatar on a screen rather than an actual 3D mechanism.  Sexbots, eh, not there yet.  If cost is a driver, good chance we won’t be there for some time to come.

As you know from my multiple posts on the topic, I am most eager to get this going specifically as companions for the elderly.  There we have a ready market, a situation where risk is low (what do they have to lose?) where an on-screen avatar is perfectly acceptable (AD patients often interpret an image in the mirror or a person talking on a computer screen another person in the room or a person looking through a window.)

It frustrates me that at programming skills, I still can’t seem to stop sucking.