[ExI] Greener Urban Environment

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 21:14:56 UTC 2017

adrian wrote:  Typical engineering starting salaries are far higher than
typical humanities stating salaries.

Let's have some perspective here.  An engineering graduate has the ability,
I am assuming, to help some company make money right out of college.  An
English graduate has the ability to manage a fast food place, sell cars,
and do many other things that a person without a college degree can do just
as swell.  I dunno enough about business majors to make any statement.

The point of the humanities is not to make money but to preserve and pass
along our cultural heritage.  Thus the graduates are prepared to teach
their subjects and no more.  They have not pretended otherwise.  If you
find an English major driving a cab, or managing a McDonald's, then
probably the colleges are graduating too many English majors, and the
graduate should have looked at the job market and maybe picked up a
teaching certificate along the way.

Putting a price of the contribution of the humanities is looking at it the
wrong way.  If you don't understand these contributions without an
explanation, you won't understand them with an explanation.

bill w