[ExI] Greener Urban Environment

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 18:49:31 UTC 2017

On Jun 7, 2017 10:51 AM, "Dave Sill" <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> We're talking about two different things.  You're talking about what
> should be, and ways to improve education in general, which is good -
> but I'm talking about what is today, and the relative utility of SR's
> near-term options.
>
> Or are you saying that SR, personally, can accomplish everything
> you're asking here, for at least a significant fraction of humanity?

I'm arguing that a traditional higher education is a bad deal and a waste
of time. Short of fixing the whole system, a person faced with obtaining
the knowledge and skills they desire has at least two choices today: the
traditional expensive and inefficient way, or "rolling their own"
non-traditional education via self learning, online learning,
non-degree-oriented classes, certifications, work experience, etc.

Given SR's objectives, including that SR does not know the full list of
things needed and thus can not count on such a rolling covering all that SR
will need to learn as well as the traditional method would cover them, the
traditional method would seem to yield superior results in this case.

Hopefully in the future there will be an easier non-traditional approach.

Agreed.