[ExI] Proton VPN secure internet

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 20:25:31 UTC 2017

ProtonMail makes its free VPN service available to everyone

The free tier isn't as robust as the paid ones, but it's free forever.
Mariella Moon, 06.20.17

<https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/20/protonmail-releases-free-vpn-to-public/>

Quote:
ProtonMail, the encrypted email created by CERN and MIT scientists,
has released a new product in response to the administration's roll
back of Obama-era internet privacy rules. Starting today, you can try
out the company's VPN service, which was in beta testing by 10,000
initial users for a year, by getting it from the official ProtonVPN
website. The great thing about it is that it has a free tier that's
free forever. It might not be as robust as the paid ones, but it still
routes your connection through multiple encrypted tunnels in three
countries.

<https://protonvpn.com/blog/free-vpn-service-launch/>

You can now directly get ProtonVPN by visiting <https://protonvpn.com>

However, we have done more than make ProtonVPN free. We have also
worked to make it the best VPN service ever created, by addressing
many of the common pitfalls with VPNs. For example, ProtonVPN features
a Secure Core architecture which routes traffic through multiple
encrypted tunnels in multiple countries to better defend against
network based attacks, and also features seamless integration with the
Tor anonymity network. You can learn about all the steps we took to
build a secure VPN here.

You only need an email address to sign up. Even an anonymous
ProtonMail address will do.

They have built-in access to the Tor network, Onion sites and the dark web.
(The dark web is not only for criminals- but be careful if you go there!).  :)

I haven't tried it yet, but at the moment there may be delays as they
seem to be swamped with applications.

BillK