[ExI] Hawking urges Moon landing to 'elevate humanity'

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 05:30:03 UTC 2017

Adrian, of course this depends on one's emotional triggers, but to me
the ISS is no powerful symbol. It's sexy like a brick. When I was at
ESA I used to criticize the ISS/Shuttle emphasis and the abandonment
of Moon exploration as a losers' choice that would make space boring
and uninteresting. I got into troubles with top management for that on
at least one occasion, but facts proved me right.

Not to say that we don't need the ISS, and of course as you said we
need cheap access to space more than everything, but we need to make
space sexy again (as Hawking says), and only manned exploration of the
Moon and the planets can do that.