[ExI] brave new world in education

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jun 27 15:30:58 UTC 2017

>...It will indeed be a Brave New World...BillK

Apologies I lost track of the subject line in the thread from a few days ago
regarding the future of education, which is a topic I have been pondering
recently.

I think it was Adrian who commented about a company having the choice of
hiring a college grad with a degree in CS or someone without a college
degree but with a certificate of some sort in the language or software that
company needs.  In only one case does that company know the applicant can do
the job.  I would pick the certified applicant over the degreed one.

Also in the past week we have discussed the value of a liberal arts
education.  I do recognize that debate rages, but at the same time I will
make the claim that a liberal arts education is of little value to a company
in a desperate race to compete in low cost access to space or programming
the latest robot toy.  They don't need that degree and do not want to pay
for it.

Pondering the future of education, the biggest change coming is likely a
rapid expansion in the options for certifying specific skills, analogous to
taking state boards exams for a professional engineer's license.  Is not
that the biggest coming revolution in education?