[ExI] brave new world in education

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 29 18:20:00 UTC 2017

>>... "Till" is a perfectly good word.
>
> -Dave

>>..."Till" can also mean the money in a cash drawer or to turn over soil.
Using 'til makes the meaning immediately obvious.

>...Ja, but using "till" introduces a cool vague triple meaning.  Now we
plow up and scramble tomorrow, while making piles of money that go into the
till.  I like it.

Articles like this one give us hope that universities get it, or some do:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/decade-ahead-promises-great-change-higher-edu
cation-jeff-selingo?trk=eml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-hero-0-null&midTo
ken=AQH_tlQ5s7wLiQ&fromEmail=fromEmail&ut=2Xvp2cVqof9TQ1

When we talk about coming changes in education, consider how much it has
already changed.

Consider some skill you might have learned in the long time agos.  Perhaps
some physic professor gave a lecture on using the del operator and the
vector cross product to calculate an EM field around a charged rod.  It
isn't something you use every day, so you don't recall how he did that magic
act, so how do you remind yourself?  Go dig through your dusty old textbook?
Library?  A bookstore if you can still find one?

None of these, you sit there where you are right now, Google, tikkity
tikkity tikkity BOOM, there it is, someone somewhere has written a good page
on that area of arcane knowledge but just like the old days in the library,
you may not ever get to your del cross product question because on the way
there, you saw something else cool and off you went in a different
direction, which is cool too.  Cost: zero.  You get the answers immediately,
or rather answers to something you want to know about, not necessarily what
you went looking for to start with.

The way we find out stuff has changed so much, the biggest surprise is that
the university system still bears so much resemblance to the way it was when
I was there, where they taught us knapped flint technologies and how to
evade the hungry T-rex, that sorta thing.