[ExI] Trump on ​linear induction motors ​

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:37:52 UTC 2017

> On Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:48 PM spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Presidents come and go, but the military stays long-term.  If a
> president demands a ship be retrofitted with a steam catapult,
> you can be sure the military will do something, even if not
> exactly what he had in mind, such as create an EM cat which
> blows off steam during the launch.  Meanwhile the bad guys
> think the USNavy is investing its resources in retrofitting
> carriers with 1950s-era steam catapults.  Once that president
> is gone, the admirals order the removal of the steam bottles
> mounted underneath the deck, toss them overboard, life goes on.

This actually fits into my earlier point about a radical critique of power* rather than focusing purely or mainly on who sits behind the desk. Much of government -- in other words, much of the abusive system of power -- steams on regardless of who's at the helm. Here, in my mind, people who merely want to put a different person behind the desk are not going to fundamentally change things. At best, we'll just see saw back and forth between bad and worse. And given the chance of a turnkey authoritarian state, that's a much bigger risk now. (Still, I'm optimistic. The Soviet empire really did fall. Our nightmares might be different today, but we can always decide to wake up.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst

* Which is to say to abolish it as much as possible in society -- not to merely argue over who would marginally less appalling decisions as supreme leader.