[ExI] Heads up

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 30 14:50:19 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 4:50 AM
To: Extropy chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] Heads up

In February of 2016 I was contacted off list by a long-time member of this list who was asking for financial help. I ignored that request because I didn't know this person outside the list. In November, I got another request. I was still reluctant, but I thought of a small task that I needed that this person should have been able to help with, so I made a $200 donation hoping it'd be something more than a gift.

I got no response whatsoever. No thanks, no thanks-but-no-thanks: nothing.

I sent a ping this February and got a real-soon-now response.

I doubt I'm the only person on the list who received the plea for help and it may be too late to stop others from falling for it, but I thought I should say something.

-Dave

Hi Dave, I didn’t get that request.  Suggest having the person call you on Skype.  It wouldn’t take long for to discover if anyone posing as a longtime member was bogus.  But I would be suspicious right up front.  Anyone who has been with ExI long knows that if one were to pass the hat around a bunch of raging capitalists, she is lucky to get her hat back.  {8^D