[ExI] Heads up

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 30 16:12:30 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 8:44 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Heads up

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 10:55 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:

Ja good idea.  The person who supposedly sent the request may not know of
the scam.

My email exchange and the Paypal payment ($150, not $200) were to the address this person used on this list.

-Dave

Ja, but that doesn’t really tell you all that much.  Back when the online identity business was going on, Robert Bradbury knew my email logon and password.  I had him use it.  I think I gave that to several people I trusted, Anders, Greg Burch, mighta been others.  With Robert, he was a good-hearted generous guy, but those who knew him realize why giving him your email logon might be risky: the man did say what he was thinking with no internal censors.  It isn’t clear in his case if his internal censor was broken or if he intentionally destroyed it, but it didn’t work.

I maintain a different email @ which I use for anything I want kept private.  I don’t think I have ever mentioned it here.

So the person in distress could have somehow gotten the login creds, rigged it to where she gets the email first, deletes anything about sending money, unsuspecting victim doesn’t even know she is hitting up his online friends and acquaintances for money.

The one and only time I have ever had an ExI person in actual need, he called me on the phone.

If I see anyone posting email needing help, I would durn near assume it was bogus.  Otherwise, they would post with a phone number so you could talk realtime, see if they know things any ExI oldtimer would know, such as I might say “Hey I heard from Hal Finney the other day…”  And she would say “Indeed sir?  You went to a spirit medium?  Or did you use a Ouija board?”

This is a good question however, more than just fun and games.  We have all that stuff in the archives, and we know there are some accidental misattributions, and some intentional ones.  It would be a fun exercise for a strong AI to figure out which ones ar misattributed.