[ExI] It has begun

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Mon Mar 6 08:03:20 UTC 2017

Dylan Distasio wrote:
<I do agree with you that once it becomes apparent that the Singularity is
actually happening that radical compromises will be necessary.  I don't
see it as being inevitable before the rise of strong (conscious) AI
though.>

In case any of you missed it, the Singularity has already quietly begun,
buried on the back page of the news. Neural networks have learned a trick
analogous to genetic recombination which allows for rapid evolution. But
since, as I have demonstrated before, the Generalized Turing Test is
mathematically undecidable, it is impossible to know how long it will take
for strong AI to become readily "apparent".

However, in light of this and other recent advances like DeepMind, I think
we may be less than a decade out from strong AI whether we recognize it
for what it is or not:

news article
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23331144-500-ai-learns-to-write-its-own-code-by-stealing-from-other-programs/

technical article
https://openreview.net/pdf?id=ByldLrqlx

Excerpt: "A machine learning system has gained the ability to write its
own code. Created by researchers at Microsoft and the University of
Cambridge, the system, called DeepCoder, solved basic challenges of the
kind set by programming competitions. This kind of approach could make it
much easier for people to build simple programs without knowing how to
write code."

“The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed." - William
Gibson

Stuart LaForge