[ExI] ANN question

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 17:59:14 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> At any given instant, a neuron may either be firing or have a time
> until next firing - but a firing is a (mostly) discrete event, with
> one firing distinct from the next.
>
> If it was not distinct - if it was "always firing" - then there would
> be no such thing as "speed" of firing.  Rather than toggle on then off
> at various rates, it would simply be always on.

​-------------
There is a great deal of controversy about rate of firing, from about 1
every 6 seconds to 200 per second, up to a couple of thousand at the
fastest (for cortical neurons).  By always firing I meant only that it
never rested more than a few seconds at the very most.  Yes, discrete -
absolute refractory period.​

So, again, that gives three states - not changing speed, slowing,
increasing, unlike the ANN which is set to respond (say, gives an output of
1), or not respond - an output of 0.

That is a simplified version of the neuron, I agree.  But if they are
trying to model the neuron, why not set up the three state reality?

bill w