[ExI] Orbital skyscraper proposal

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 18:52:43 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM,  Giulio Prisco
<giulioprisco at protonmail.ch> wrote:

snip

> I would be very surprised if someone could pull this off with today's tech and realistic funding.

I will be surprised if anyone *ever* pulls off an earth to GEO
elevator.  Carbon nanotubes are about the best we have.  When you put
a stress on a nanotube that's needed for elevators, the 6 member rings
become unstable to 5 and 7 member rings and it unzips like a run in a
stocking.

> But then, big surprises do happen now and then.

True.  My disbelief in building orbital skyhooks didn't keep me from
writing a story about them.

http://htyp.org/UpLift

(It's not as good as other things I have written.)

Keith