[ExI] Orbital skyscraper proposal

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 20:54:04 UTC 2017

On 26 March 2017 at 20:41, Brent Allsop  wrote:

> That schematic diagram, where they show everything, obviously isn't anywhere
> close to scale.  They have the international space station close to Geo, or
> the "Clarke Belt".  The distance between those is HUGE.
>
> And I haven't seen anywhere where they describe how the G force changes.
> Obviously, it would be Zero in GEO.  But what would it be on the top
> "FUNERARY" floors?  Given the scale it is drawn it appears it would be about
> half a G on the top "FUNERARY" floor.  But it probably is much more like .9
> or more G, given the correct scale?  Or does the fact that it is orbiting,
> even if only geostationary, change things at that altitude?

The skyscraper seems to be built in sections, so I expect it would be
built one section at a time, checking stresses, etc. as they go along.

You would hardly notice the change in gravity. Even at the height of
the space station you would still weigh about 9/10 normal. They get
zero-G because they are in free-fall around the earth.

BillK