[ExI] Single Payer Healthcare

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 15:13:01 UTC 2017

On 28 March 2017 at 15:56, Dylan Distasio  wrote:
> Apologies for the lack of a detailed reply, but I do not think it is a fact
> that single payer healthcare systems "work great."  They are currently
> functioning and providing universal coverage.  Working great is another
> story.  I'll reiterate that I think the current US system is incredibly
> problematic.   I think you are heavily discounting the rationing effect that
> is part and parcel of any single payer plan.  Do you think that the UK's
> single payer system is working great?  If so, what dispassionate metrics are
> you basing this on?

The present US system has rationing by price and apparently many more
people are dying by this system of rationing than in 30 other
countries.

Many life-saving treatments are actually quite cheap, but out of reach
of many in the US. Entering the US medical care system runs up
astronomical bills very quickly.

BillK