[ExI] Self-driving cars can dramatically improve traffic flow

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed May 10 20:01:06 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Spike Jones [mailto:spike at rainier66.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:58 PM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: RE: [ExI] Self-driving cars can dramatically improve traffic flow

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:28 PM
To: Extropy Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

>...Experiments show that a few self-driving cars can dramatically
>improve
traffic flow May 9, 2017 by Celeste Arbogast

<https://phys.org/news/2017-05-self-driving-cars-traffic.html>

Quotes:
>..."Our experiments show that with as few as 5 percent of vehicles
>being
automated and carefully controlled, we can eliminate stop-and-go waves
caused by human driving behavior," ...
-------------

>...BillK

Ja, classic control theory predicts that: the traffic equivalent of shock
waves in compressible flow.

Think of this, since we are in the age when self-drivers are easily foreseen
in 5-10% levels.  Freshly unemployed driving professionals could easily gum
up the works: goes out on the freeway, looks for a string of three or more
self-drivers, pulling in front of them and slowing down.  The self-drivers
obediently stay in line in their lane.  The yahoo up front is causing a big
delay but it isn't all that clear what he is doing is illegal exactly.

On the freeway there is a minimum speed limit, but on surface streets there
is not.  A self-driver-hater could pull in front, slow to walking speed,
perhaps in a dangerous neighborhood...

HEY, business idea!  Create software which automatically routes self-drivers
around bad neighborhoods.