[ExI] sex - was Re: The smart-stupid dimension

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Thu May 18 05:08:49 UTC 2017

Libertarians don't fit well into the common conception of their the right
or the left in the United States.

They don't tend to fit with the Right, because even if they are personally
socially conservative, they believe that the government should not impose
those sorts of social norms onto people. Whereas Conservatives in the
United States tend to believe that legislating lifestyle (at least in a
certain realm) is their moral duty.

However, the popular conception of the Left, on the other hand, gravitates
more towards social safety policies (unemployment, disability, single payer
policies) and legislating morality in the other direction (you must accept
X type persons).

Really, it doesn't fit well in the traditional understanding of either the
Right or the Left in the United States. So, often people who consider
themselves on the Right will say it is on the Left, and people on the
mainstream Left will say it is on the Right.

There are also a couple of other reasons that Libertarianism is commonly
misunderstood in the United States. Thus far, the public coverage has been
poor, in general. Additionally, many different types of groups claim to be
libertarian, and so for the average person, determining what is an accurate
representation of libertarianism is extremely difficult.

For example, I used to work for the Democratic Party, and my two closest
friends worked in politics also, one as State point for the Green Party,
and the other as NW State point for the Libertarian Party. Which of us
faced the greatest number of misconceptions? My friend in the Libertarian
Party. (And the difference between "Big L" and "little l" libertarians is
not lost on me, I promise)

So there's just not an appropriate level of understanding of what
"libertarian" even means.

(Sorry if that's a bit juvenile... You guys have always intimidated me from
day one)

-Sophia