[ExI] Fleeting phase of planet formation discovered

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 25 17:39:41 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:37 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] Fleeting phase of planet formation discovered

http://www.nature.com/news/fleeting-phase-of-planet-formation-discovered-1.22039 <http://www.nature.com/news/fleeting-phase-of-planet-formation-discovered-1.22039?WT.ec_id=NEWS-20170525&spMailingID=54139291&spUserID=NTEzNjU4MTQ2OAS2&spJobID=1164204244&spReportId=MTE2NDIwNDI0NAS2>

I was hoping this wasn't based on simulations but actually detected by observation. Interesting that this backs the accretion theory of lunar formation -- as against the giant impact theory.

Regards,

Dan

Dan simulations might be better than observation for figuring out how these things could happen.  I am pondering if this might explain what we are seeing in Tabby’s star: a huge synestia formed recently out at a Saturn-ish radius perhaps a few thousand Saturn-ring radius.

If this is the right explanation, we won’t see any further dips of Tabby’s star for the next couple decades.  If it is wrong, we will see another dip in just a couple years from now, and we will again be puzzled at where the IR signature went.

Cool!