[ExI] clarification

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 27 16:47:46 UTC 2017

On 27 May 2017 at 16:27, spike wrote:
> I am wondering how CNN is going to handle their reporting of the Steele
> dossier.  Wednesday they reported former FBI director Comey was fooled by a
> fake Russian intelligence dossier regarding the tarmac meeting between then
> JD chief Lynch and Mr. Clinton.  Two days later, yesterday, CNN reports
> Comey knew the documents were fake.  Which?
>
> All this gets so 1984-ish.  In our own times, it appears that private
> communications are mostly behind us and that real political power comes from
> finding ways to communicate secretly.  We can anticipate the time when it
> becomes illegal to do so.

It already is sort of illegal. Border Control can demand passwords to
all your electronic devices, phones, laptops, etc. And demand that you
decrypt any encrypted files or partitions that they find. Apparently
they normally keep a copy of your files and disk drives and passwords.
(Just in case, you know....).
Laws in other countries may differ, but nowadays the terrorism threat
allows officials to do almost anything once you are defined as
'suspicious'. And being uncooperative automatically makes you
'suspicious'.
I suppose that not having a smartphone or laptop at all makes you
REALLY suspicious.  :)

BillK