[ExI] Effects of low/no calorie diets, was Re: bug eating again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:44:47 UTC 2017

Ballard wrote:
So sure, physical hunger may dissipate, but psychological hunger becomes a
driving fixation.

Very interesting!  I agree that total starvation is drastic.  I know of one
person who died trying this - in a hospital!  Here is a better way:

Hunger comes built-in, but over time and the right feeding it can become
classically conditioned a la Pavlov  The key is simply to feed a baby or a
person at any age, on a regular schedule.  I don't know what the current
recommendations are for babies, but feeding on a regular schedule would
mean that the baby will complain at the feeding times, and that will be
more convenient for the feeders.  At those times his hunger system will be
sending signals to eat at those times at which he was fed, anticipating
food.

To break this conditioning (extinction) means moving to an irregular
schedule.  Start eating between meals - no, not cookies!  A salad, say, or
an apple.  Very gradually cut down the amount of food at meals.  Then
gradually move to a random schedule.  Your body will stop expecting food at
the regular times and if you feel hungry it won't be a lot.  Some would
recommend eating more than three times a day - including me.  Some call
this grazing.

You will not feel a great deal of hunger and thus will not be urged to eat
a lot by your body.  When this is complete you might not even be able to
eat a big meal without feeling bloated.

Then you can gradually decrease the overall amount of food without feeling
deprived, physiologically or psychologically.  Pushbacks - from the table.

This might not be very convenient re family meals.  If you have big
sit-down meals, eat maybe 1/3 of a meal an hour earlier.  As Gargantua said
"Drink always before the thirst."  And it will never come upon you, or
words to that effect.  Same for food.

I have personally never had to go on a diet of any kind, so my
understanding of the emotional effects et al is poor.  But I have studied
dieting for nearly 50 years, and the above stands as my recommendation for
people who want to lose weight.  (Initially I wanted to understand why I
couldn't gain weight.)

I simply do not know why doctors won't prescribe Synthroid for dieters.  I
take an overdose because of a thyroid cancer and I never, ever feel
hungry.  Skipping a meal is just nothing to me.  I can eat a muffin in the
morning and nothing until 9 p.m. and then only a bowl of ice cream.  The
obese, with their high blood pressure and threat of diabetes, need to lose
weight and Synthroid would do it.  Far safer than staying obese, it seems
to me.

As for the food, high-fat, low carbs - Atkins, South Beach,
paleo.............No French fries ever!  Frying replaces the water in the
potato with oil - maybe the wrong kind too.

Did you know that vitamins like D3 and K2 need to be taken with fat?  I use
whole milk.

bill w