[ExI] Gravity wave math

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue May 30 17:18:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 10:28 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ​>​
> Fourier transforms sometimes do weird things, but I can’t imagine how two
> completely separate instruments could have done exactly the same weird
> thing at exactly the same time unless it was the real deal.

​
LIGO is just completing it's second observation run, if they had 4 million
such runs you'
​d​
expect to see a jiggle as large
​as the​
 October 12 2015
​ event caused by random noise once, and after another 4 million runs you
might see ​a noise jiggle as big as the
December 26 2015
​ event.  Actually it's even more unlikely than that because LIGO, being a
interferometer, can see more than just a jiggle, it can see an entire
waveform, and the waveform LIGO saw looks almost exactly like the waveform
Einstein predicted you'd see from 2 Black Holes spiraling into each other:
 ​

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsites.psu.edu%2Fligo%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F35076%2F2016%2F02%2F20bbh.png&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsites.psu.edu%2Fligo%2Fhearing-black-holes-and-neutron-stars%2F&docid=qkXO33X4DcIdoM&tbnid=z2VbcrNcG4k9wM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi45KyTipjUAhVKsVQKHWpABZgQMwgoKAcwBw..i&w=3600&h=1980&hl=en&bih=981&biw=1745&q=LIGO%20waveform&ved=0ahUKEwi45KyTipjUAhVKsVQKHWpABZgQMwgoKAcwBw&iact=mrc&uact=8

​But nothing is certain in life so maybe it's all just a huge coincidence,
but I wouldn't bet on it.

​> ​
> I doubt they would request a press conference to say they didn’t find
> anything.​

​I'll be mad if they just announce they're changing their logo or the
vending machines in the instillation's cafeteria,    ​

 John K Clark