[ExI] scienceblind

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Oct 13 18:28:40 UTC 2017

BillW wrote:

>I still don't get some of it.  Say you take a less dense object and put it
>underwater.  Since it is less dense, does that mean that gravity pulls less
>on it?  And why should the water exert less of an upward force than on
>something more dense?  Or is it gravity?

It is precisely gravity when it is not overwhelmed by the stronger
electromagnetic force. For example, if chemical bonds were weaker and all
matter was a liquid, you as a liquid, would rise or fall until you were at
the layer of all the liquids with your same density.

>If I were standing in a vacuum, would there be less holding me up since
>there is no air to exert an upward force on my body?  If this is correct, I
>am beginning to get it, eh?

Yes. You would "weigh" appromiximately 1.2 grams more per kilogram of your
actual mass if you were in a vaccuum.

Stuart LaForge