[ExI] Kahneman and underpowered studies

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:32:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> http://retractionwatch.com/2017/02/20/placed-much-faith-
> underpowered-studies-nobel-prize-winner-admits-mistakes/
>

> From earlier this year. Given how often I see his (and Tversky's) book
> cited, this is very interesting.
>

> Also, Retraction Watch looks like a great resource.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
>
> ​It's not only Kahneman - it's everybody in psychology and several other
> fields as well.  I am sure most of us are aware of the cognitive biases
> prevalent in researchers, of which there are several.  Refusal of journals
> to publish negative results.  Acceptance of border line studies without
> replication, and a lot more. Increasing use of Bayes has been suggested as
> one fix.

​This does in no way invalidate most of Kahneman's and Tversky's work.
Priming has had very recent troubles too, though I have no doubts that it
is a real phenomenon..  (Insert cliche' here - more research is needed).

There is no question that subtle cues in our environment affect our
unconscious and then, later perhaps, our conscious.  Subliminal
perception?  Yes.

Bill W​