[ExI] Book review: Technological Resurrection, by Jonathan Jones

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 07:10:19 UTC 2017

You are missing a hopeful spirit and some arXiv papers ;-) The author
of this book is not a physicist and doesn't go into details of how our
descendants could copy/teleport detailed information from their past
(our present) to their present (our future). Given that capability,
our descendants could resurrect people by copying them from their past
to their present.. The book just hints at future technologies based on
quantum entanglement and all that.

There are hints at promising directions in current cutting edge
speculative physics. ER=EPR is one: If wormholes connect entangled
particles and entanglement is ubiquitous, then there are wormholes
connecting every pixel of spacetime to every other pixel of spacetime,
and these wormholes can be exploited as data channels between here/now
and there/then (just like in Stephen Baxter's "The Light of Other
Days."

More generally, I find the "emergent physics" approach persuasive: Our
physics of matter and fields in Einstein's spacetime emerges from the
unknown physics of an underlying trans-Planckian substrate, just like
the physics of quasiparticles (e.g. phonons) emerge from the "real"
physics of a material substrate (e.g. a crystal). Space and time
themselves emerge from trans-Planckian physics like an eefctive
spacetime emerges from fluid dynamics in sonic black hole experiments
(fluid analogues of general relativity). The entangled wormhole mouths
in ER=EPR could be intermediate representations of reality, halfway
between our physics and the unknown trans-Planckian physics.

G.