[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 168, Issue 15

Re Rose rocket at earthlight.com
Wed Sep 27 18:30:51 UTC 2017

Apologies, my browser is not letting me edit the name of this email  :(

To answer the question below about basic research, please keep in mind not
all the research is - or should - be done by big pharma. Academics (should)
get funding to do basic research, so a problem arises is when academics
team up with pharma to push a profit agenda forward.

As a libertarian myself, I have no problem with making money, and believe
that people doing work should be paid for it. But basic discovery is the
work of science, while making a discovery into something marketable is the
job of industry. Crossing those lines leads to market distortion, and bad
incentives.

Personally, I have done such basic pharmaceutical research as an academic,
to develop a molecule called epibatidine as a non-narcotic pain reliever.
This promising molecule is still being studied by others and will present a
novel class of very effective, no-narcotic pain relievers once the toxicity
and bio-availability issues are solved. This research started in the lab as
a basic biochemistry sort of question (why does this frog-secreted molecule
block pain in mammals??) and once that was learned (it is an agonist of
nicotinic receptors, which blocks pain perception), pharma joined the
academics to develop this potential drug.

So, IMHO, the answer to finding novel and effective pharmaceuticals is to
keep academics academic, not profit-motivated, and continue to fund basic
and undirected research.

--Regina