[ExI] evolutionary psychology in a meme war

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:59:57 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 00:05 Spike Jones <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> We have heard of how evolutionary psychology predicts a society will
> engage in warfare when there is a sufficient level of collective pessimism
> about the future.
>

> OK, sure that makes sense in the traditional definition of warfare.  But
> now, if we embrace the notion that modern warfare is primarily memetic and
> the battlefield is digital, the weapons entirely digital where none of the
> participants actually perish, can we extend traditional evolutionary
> psychology to now?
>

> spike

I don't know if it's necessarily true that participants don't perish.  It's
at least true that life expectancy reduction is a common result of that
memetic warfare.

As to your question, anything traditional can be extended to the present,
as long as the arbiters of those theories are willing to consider change.