[ExI] Thousands of scientists pledge not to help build killer AI robots

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Aug 1 01:50:30 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark

>…On the other hand robots killing biological humans to make room for something like a hyperspace bypass is a real possibility, but intelligent robots would remain… John K Clark

I thought of a scenario while out on a 2 week camping trip that made sleeping even more difficult than it already is when camping.

Humanity is clearly on the verge of humanoid robots in form: ones which are bipedal and look a lot like humans from a moderate distance.  We probably aren’t that close to AI, but imagine if… we had androids which could be programmed to walk into some public space and start shooting.  They would use ordinary firearms, the kind which are in existence by the billions, they could be entirely untraceable, so there would be no negative repercussions to whoever turned it loose.  If there are no repercussions to murder, plenty of people in civilized society would do it now, for the most trivial of motives.  When I say plenty, I mean 1%, which is plenty.

Just programmable humanoid robots, which are easily foreseeable with current technology, could serve as a great filter.  They wouldn’t need AI.  Ordinary human nature would do.