[ExI] Prisoner of bad philosophy: Carl Sagan couldn’t allow himself to hope

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 16:38:18 UTC 2018

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 at 1:30 am, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> [...]

People can be frankly delusional, symptomatic of a psychotic illness, and
still be intelligent. The more intelligent they are, the more elaborate
their defence of their delusion.

Interestingly, part of the definition of a delusion in psychiatry (e.g. in
the DSM) is that the belief is not held by people from the same culture. If
this  criterion were not included then religious beliefs and other beliefs
held in the absence of evidence would be classed as delusional.
--
Stathis Papaioannou