[ExI] Thousands of scientists pledge not to help build killer AI robots

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:34:24 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 5:02 PM, Ben Zaiboc <ben at zaiboc.net> wrote:

>> My 2 guesses to explain The Great Filter are we are the first (somebody
>> has to be) or the robots fall victim to something like electronic drug
>> abuse.

*>A third possibility is that the aliens are all over the place, we just
> can't detect them.*

I think that's very unlikely.

> *A combination of nanotechnology and uploading could mean civilisations
> simply shrink until they no longer have any detectable footprint*

With Drexler style nanotechnology it would be easy to make galaxy sized
engineered structures and its hard to believe absolutely nobody ever
decided to do it. Even a uploaded mind is connected with physics,  the
richer his virtual world is the more computations are needed to  be made,
and the only way t o  perform a computation is by way of matter and energy
with can only come from our non-virtual world. We should be able to see the
upload civilization do that but we don't. It's odd.

John K Clark