[ExI] Thousands of scientists pledge not to help build killer AI robots

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:15:13 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> peanuts would be a greater drag on your financial resources. Even if many
>> or even most ETs think that sending out a Von Neumann probe would be a bad
>> idea there will always be somebody who disagrees. And it only takes one.
>> And yet we see nothing. it's odd.
>>

> *> Are we really so advanced that we could see it even if we were looking
> directly at it?*

Being advanced has nothing to do with it. I'm not talking about anything
subtle, if one individual sent one Von Neumann probe to one star then in a
instant of time (cosmologically speaking) it would be obvious to a
blind man in a fog bank that the Galaxy had been engineered; but instead we
see all the photons from 200 billion stars radiate uselessly into cold
empty space performing no work and doing no good to anyone.

John K Clark