[ExI] Electoral College

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Aug 17 19:53:15 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Adrian Tymes

>>... Fortunately presidents do not make law and do not make orders of this
kind.

>...Yes they do.  It's called martial law.  The (unverifiable and
evidenceless) claim about terrorism would get it counted as "rebellion or
invasion" for purposes of getting constitutional authority...

Ja, I am not buying it Adrian.  Enough people in this country would
recognize that for what it is, and defend those ballots with state militias.

Definition of Militia:

U.S. Code § 246 - Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at
least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32,
under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention
to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the
United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the
Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia
who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

OK, well I am aged out of the militia, but were I to show up at the polling
place armed and ready to defend against terrorists, I can imagine the
younger guys would be eager to have my assistance, and even if not, I can
help supply shootin arns.  It isn't even clear now if women are excluded,
since they could just declare themselves men (gender is fluid now) and if
they are between 17 and 45, they are in.

>...In California, New England, and other blue areas, sure - if the state
militias could keep away that portion of the national armed forces that
follow orders to put a stop to it...

They would have orders, sure.  But most of the national armed forces would
recognize the order for what it is, and they would be on our side.

>...Too many of the red states would go right along with it, knowing that
not having an election would make irrelevant the votes of states that had
one...

Eh, still not convinced.  California, New York, Florida and Ohio would
easily raise a militia that could stand against whatever the Fed had to
offer.  The standing army of the US is only about 1.3 million, couple
million if you count reserves.  The army wouldn't stand a chance, especially
considering the army is wearing uniforms.

But they would understand the hopelessness of trying to cancel an election
under martial law, and would be on our side.

>> Presidents cannot stop elections.  They would if they could.

>...No prior president has wanted to carry on a presidency in the current
fashion...

I disagree.  Plenty of previous presidents would hold that office if he felt
he could do it.

>...There have only been a few dozen presidents so far.  Even Nixon
ultimately resigned...

Ja Nixon realized that the constitution is the basis for a president's
authority.  Any president thrashing around and declaring martial law would
soon have his top military people concluding he was using power illegally.
There is a good reason why no one has attempted to become president for
life.