[ExI] New Hubble Deep Field Photos

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Aug 20 15:49:07 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 7:58 AM
To: Extropy Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] New Hubble Deep Field Photos

The images were taken for a project called the Hubble Deep UV Legacy Survey, or HDUV, and together they total over 25 total hours of exposure time! That’s a lot for any telescope, but for Hubble, that’s deep. They cover about 100 square arc minutes of sky, about the apparent size of a large grain of sand on the tip of your finger held at arm’s length. Yet inside that tiny area are the keys to the cosmos.

<https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/hubble-goes-deep-and-finds-thousands-of-galaxies-assembling-when-the-universe-was-young>

<https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/hubble-paints-picture-of-the-evolving-universe>

Yes, it's a big universe out there!

BillK

Cool!

Minor point: square of area about 100 arc minutes would be 10 arc minutes on a side.  The moon (and sun) are about 30 arc minutes across, so it is an area about a tenth of a full moon.

I set these Hubble images as my background screen.  Every time I sit down here, I marvel at how cool it is to be living in the here and now.