[ExI] physics question

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 16:14:25 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 5:25 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> No computer expert here, but I have been told that my Windows software
> corrupts itself over a period of time, and so would up and downloads.

Every time a computer copies a file there is a chance a error will be made,
however in 1948 Claud Shannon showed us a clever way to make the error rate
arbitrarily small by injecting a modest but carefully placed amount of
redundancy into the file. Without this brilliant insight there is no way
the Internet that we know and love today could exist.

 John K Clark