[ExI] physics question

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 16:46:29 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:35 AM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> what does 'arbitrarily small' mean?  bill w

Take whatever the error rate of copying a single bit is.  For a modern hard
drive, it is in the neighborhood of 10^-15.

Roughly speaking, for every 2N bits of redundancy applied to some string of
bits (which can be arbitrarily large), you can tolerate up to N corrupted
bits in that string.  So let's say you have a file that is 1,000,000 bits
long, the probability that no bits will be corrupt is:

(1 - 10^-15)^1,000,000 = 0.999999999

Which is already pretty high, but we can make it arbitrarily high.  For
example, by adding 2 redundant bits, we can ensure that even if 1 bit is
corrupt we can fix it, which means we would need not 1 corruption, but 2
corruptions.  Which would almost double the number of "nines" (an
exponential increase) for an incremental cost of 2 additional bits.  If we
want to tolerate 5 corruptions, this requires 10 extra bits, but now you
are into truly astronomically low unrecoverable error rates.

Jason