[ExI] CRACKPOTS (was electoral college)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Aug 21 18:01:39 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:19 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] CRACKPOTS (was electoral college)

>>…What's wrong with a nose piercing?  That's tame.

>>…Y'all come off as a bunch of reactionaries.

will

>…  Yeah, we did stupid things too - swallowing goldfish, stuffing phone booths, etc… BillW

Hey, I resemble that remark!  What’s stupid about stuffing a phone booth?  That’s how kids used to have sex back in the days when pornography came from National Geographic and birth control pills hadn’t yet gotten wide distribution.  We would see how many of us we could cram in there, and of course you would be pressed tightly up against several young beauties with boobs mashed in your face.  I fail to see what is stupid about that.

The goldfish thing, well, think of it as proto-sushi.  OK that one was pretty stupid, but the phone booth thing was cool.  I would do it again now, if I could find a phone booth and if my high school class reunion attendees could ever get ourselves back out of there again without having to call the local fire department extricate us with the Jaws of Life (we aren’t as flexible as we were back then (and the boobs have been relocated southward (so the whole game isn’t quite as compelling as it was back then (Will please tell us you do know the definition of the term phone booth.))))

>…Spike, just stare at them for a few seconds and then shake your head sadly.  They will love you.  bill w

Ja, I have no real heartburn with piercings, assuming they pierce their damn selves and not me.  If poking sharp metal things thru your skin has bad consequences, they likely aren’t going to show up for a while, and even then, perhaps we will find a solution.  But I have a lotta lotta heartburn with all the new dope that these people have access to however.  That really worries me and causes bad consequences indirectly to me.  I have been seeing a lot of local addicts staggering around in the past coupla, and I feel sorry for how it is being treated: the constables give them a one-way bus ticket into San Francisco.  Then San Francisco sees them coming every day and comes up with the most stunningly illogical response I can imagine: Hey!  Let’s give them free housing, free needles and free heroine!

Then they don’t understand why the problem is getting bigger faster.  Hell the locals here don’t even need to give them bus rides: the dopers come stampeding in.  Now if you ever visit the city, you need to watch carefully where you sit.  Before when needles were shared, they were valuable, so the dopers cleaned them and kept them, and gave each other HIV and hepC.  Now they are so civilized, the give the needles away, so the dopers use them once, toss them, give us HIV and hepC.

This observation is what caused me a squirmy acknowledgement of a previous poster’s comments on a very plausible explanation of Fermi’s Paradox: technology evolves better and better types of dope, and this eventually wrecks every technologically-enabled society’s motive to grow and advance.