[ExI] Things I have (sort of) changed my mind on (3): Tabloid transhumanism

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 22:05:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:14 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM William Flynn Wallace
> <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am full of ideas about advances in biology that could improve humanity
> incredibly.  Few of us seem that interested in genetics and its role in
> creating the transhumans we desire.  But that's the way it's going to
> happen.
>
> How would you implement those changes?

It is going to be very difficult to get people to approve of designer
babies, especially when splicing in genes from other people (or whatever
genes can be created in labs from scratch) can be done.  Religion will, of
course, disapprove.  But if we really want transhumans, gene editing and
all the tools they have and will have, will be able to produce whatever
genes are capable of.  I think that we should start with eliminating
susceptibility to diseases.  I don't think that will get much flak.
Improving IQ will.  Choosing the personality ditto.

It really has not hit the fan yet as to what can be done in the near
future, or even now.  But if improving babies is the outcome, I think it
will go on somewhere before it goes on here, but it's inevitable - mothers
want perfect babies and some will be able to pay for them and will.  More
inequality in society may not be such a good idea, but what would you do if
something affordable could add 20 points to your baby's IQ?

A no-brainer.  And the poor get left behind in yet another way.

bill w