[ExI] Things I have (sort of) changed my mind on (3): Tabloid transhumanism

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:58:42 UTC 2018

> One possibility: get general acceptance of cloning humans, so that you
> can manufacture babies (e.g., for would-be parents biologically unable
> to conceive).  There will be less resistance to editing their genes -
> and then editing natural-born babies can be promoted as just being
> fair, giving them the same advantages.
>   adrian

They are already cloning family pets.  Why not people?  "That's one small
step for a dog, one giant leap for mankind."   I can see replacing people
who died.  But would you need permission to clone a living person?  Laws of
inheritance would go crazy.

Surely it's being tried somewhere by some evil (?) scientist.  When it
comes out we'll see havoc in the newspapers.  As libertarians, we should be
all for anything people want to do, right?  Probably wrong.  Prediction
(100% accuracy) - the government will get into this and mess it up badly.

bill w