[ExI] Electoral College and 1177 BCE

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Aug 25 20:57:27 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
…

>… - since the ratings of Congress have been historically poor (I think), why have we not recalled some Senators and Representatives?  Is it always the other guy's fault?  What in the Constitution allows recall?

bill w

US Senators and representatives cannot be recalled, but even if they could, it wouldn’t happen.  Governors can be recalled, and have been, such as in Cahleefoooornia.

Regarding the historically low ratings of the US congress: if the question is asked what is your approval of congress, the answer comes back in the teens usually.  If the same ones are asked what is your approval of your senators and representative, the approval rating is around 50%.  If they are then asked to name their senators and representative, then take only those who can name them, the approval rating is in the high 70s to low 80s.

I would argue that if you can’t name your representative, then your approval of that representative and of the house is irrelevant.  If you can’t name at least one of your senators, it’s time to ask yourself how you got so far out of touch.

Next time you hear someone tell you the approval rating of congress, ask them who is their representative.