[ExI] Declining Life Expectancies in U.K & U.S

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 05:31:00 UTC 2018

I'm not sure if this is actually relevant, as I was having trouble
understanding this, but it seems related to the discussion at hand. I've
always struggled to understand CPIs.

I was reading the US 2010 Census data today (I'm writing a rather long
reply to another post). In Section 3, Table 142 you'll find the Consumer
Price Index of Medical Care. "100" is calibrated to represent the prices
1982-1984.

As of 1980, Prices for physicians were 77, Dental was 79, hospital was 70,
Perscriptions were 73.

In 1990 they were 161, 156, 168, 182.
in 2000 they were 245, 259, 317, 285.
In 2010 they were 331, 399, 608, 408.

Are these already adjusted for inflation? Even if they are, it's still a
bit shocking to see the money spent on hospital stays to increase 9x over
the period 1980 to 2010. Though perhaps it is a function of changing usage
of hospitals and the medical system? Such as going to the doctor for every
little cold, use of ER for minor health problems, mending teeth rather than
doing extractions (as well as increased cosmetic dentistry), and an
increasing number of new prescription drugs.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what I am reading?

(For reference, $100 in 1983, was the equivalent of $222 in 2010.)