[ExI] playing psychologist

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Mon Aug 27 15:59:24 UTC 2018

John Clark wrote:

>At one time I was very big on Privately Produced
>Law and Private Protection Agencies and I still
>think if we were starting from scratch that
>would be a much better direction to go than
>where we are now, but the trouble is we are very
>far from starting from scratch and once a
>standard has been established its extremely
>difficult to change it. There is almost no
>chance of completing such a radical change
>before the Singularity and without copious
>amounts of blood flowing in the streets. So like
>it or not we're pretty much stuck with the
>nation state system. Due to the vast amounts of
>legacy software we can't switch to a brand new
>operating system at this late date, so all we
>can do now is slap on the newest patch when
>things crash and hope for the best.

I'm in the pragmatist column. I look at what has
to be done in what order, what can be
accomplished in today's realities, and how
important a facet is. I don't fight every fight.
And I'm okay with achieving "less bad" over not achieving anything.

I also think meta.

It seems to me that if you're hostile or uncivil
to people, they stop listening. So nearly
everywhere I am, and certainly everywhere I
manage, the first rule is to encourage people to
engage with each other with civility and the absence of hostility.

*Then*, once they're listening to each other (or
to me), encourage rational, evidence-based, rigorous discussion.

Only then do I think there's a chance of
persuading others or achieving working answers,
especially on controversial matters.

(And I suddenly realize that this is an analog to
a point Perry Metzger made decades ago—the
farther your ideas are from the norm, the more
important it is to couch it in a respectable,
non-threatening fashion. He'd meant get a
haircut, dress respectably, and speak grammatical
English, but it may be even more important online.)

Without those two antecedents, it's just a waste
of everyone's time. Some participants may get off on their self-righteousness.

-- David.