[ExI] focus

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 23:33:24 UTC 2018

I think that the function and structure of the modern public school system
are more ideological and political in a secular way, than in a religious
one. It doesn't encourage critical and independent thinking because it's
not meant to. It's meant to get students to comply and to buy into cultural
(and economic) narratives. I think it serves, generally, to create
"sheep".  ballard

I could not agree more.  And you have to remember that the school boards
were made up of the usual community people and I have to doubt if in most
places an atheist could be a member.  So, in a way, education was
religion-free and at the same time, strongly influenced by the religious
views of the board, who, in fact, are responsible to choosing the books
students get.

You have seen and maybe read in some of the books which attempt to inform
us of the history that was left out in our elementary and high school
classes.  Censorship as bad as any Communist country, I say.

I still love and admire Washington, Jefferson, Franklin - but they were not
perfect (though I cannot find much to say about Franklin in the negative,
and I tend to just disregard Jefferson's personal life).

I still want to know about China and their students.  I repeat from an
earlier post:  they have as many students studying English as we have
people.