[ExI] focus

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 19:04:08 UTC 2018

I volunteered to help build a predator cage for a wild life rescue outfit.
I can do a bit of basic carpentry.  So I get there and there are two guys
dressed to kill in hammer belts etc.  I ask what I can do - build a door.
So I build a door.  They are standing in the middle of the area talking
about pi r squared and cubed and so on.  What does anything have to do with
circles, I think?  So I ask them what they are doing.  They want to
calculate the length of a board going from the wall to the rooftop.  So I
tell them about Pythagoras and wonder where they were in high school (and
did they get out of it?).
I learned this in 7th grade.

I guess this is common, eh?

bill w