[ExI] my view of education

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:44:56 UTC 2018

dave sill wrote -  I think where public K-12 education really fails is in
teaching life skills like planning, time management, finance, decision
making, etc.
I would include all of these as parts of a critical thinking study.  My
concern, though, is really not what is taught but the lack of how to think
about it.  As a teacher I kept getting comments on how I made students
think and about how hard I was, until I finally concluded that these two
were related.

I don't know where and how I picked up thinking skills, but grad school
gives an example:  in looking at the research literature on some subject I
became aware of just how many errors appeared in studies, like the text
said one thing and the chart said another.  That sharpened my eye.  If
people smart enough to publish articles in important journals make errors,
then I should be on the lookout every time I read something.  Even fiction
helped:  finding errors of plot or character, timeline, etc. makes reading
an exercise in thinking even in escape literature.

I would gladly read of how people in this group developed their skills.

bill w