[ExI] my view of education

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 22:30:43 UTC 2018

dan wrote

I’d like to see evidence showing there because there’s much evidence to
show people don’t generalize well. Maybe I’ve misread the work on this, but
it seems like most people don’t go from example to example well — unless
primed and prompted.

It varies a lot, mostly with IQ.  I have seen studies where mentally
retarded Ss and normals work the same tasks and then are switched to a
generalization task.  Most of the normals used the skills they learned on
the previous task, but the MRs did not until prompted.  But I really am not
aware of most research on this subject.  I will generalize:  I think that
if people did not generalize fairly readily the species would not have
lasted nearly this.  Few things in the world present themselves as
identical to what was experienced before.

bill w