[ExI] Canonizer 2.0

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 00:32:04 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 12:03 PM Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > How do you know what it is like to be a bat,

That is easily answered, you can't. To do that you'd have to turn into a
bat and even then you wouldn't know because you wouldn't be you, you'd be a
bat that didn't know what it's like to be a human.

> *> what did Mary learn, when she experienced red for the first time even
> though she knew, abstractly, everything about red, before she experienced
> it for the first time?  How do you “eff the ineffable” and all that.  In my
> opinion, this is the only hard problem. *

And suppose I gave you answers to all these questions, why would you
believe me? What sort of supporting evidence could I give that would make
anyone say "yes you must be correct"? I don't see how there could be
anything. That's why I think the "easy" problem is far more profound than
the hard one. If I have a idea and say if matter and energy are arranged in
a certain way it will behave intelligently you can try it for yourself and
see if it works. If it does then I'm right, if it doesn't then I'm wrong. It
is impossible to do the same thing or anything close to it with
consciousness, even in theory.

> > *what is required to bridge the explanatory gap, is to discover which
> set of our abstract descriptions of physics in the brain should be
> interpreted as a redness, and a greenness physical quality, and so on. *

Once the "easy" problem is solved you could explain why red and green
objects cause an intelligent being to behave differently, and that's as
good as it's ever going to be if its a brute fact that consciousness is the
way data feels when it is being processed. And I don't think a chain of
iterated "why?" questions can continue for infinity, I think eventually you
reach a fundamental level and the sequence terminates in a brute fact.
Every event need not have a cause.

> *> Once an experimentalist does this, we will then be able to “eff the
> ineffable” or bridge the explanatory gap.  *

Even if the explanation the experimentalist gives is correct there is no
what for him to prove it is correct even to himself. Solving the so called
hard problem would be equivalent to proving that solipsism is untrue, and I
see no way to ever do that even theoretically.

*> In other words, the prediction being made in the “Representational
> Qualia Theory” camp needs to be verified by experimentalists, as the theory
> predicts is about to happen, before it will be a real solution to the
> qualitative hard problem.*

If you could do that then you'd have proof the "easy" problem had been
solved, not the hard one.

John K Clark