[ExI] de Waal

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 15:48:28 UTC 2018

So at some time in our evolutionary past, the
trait for religion (or something linked with it) must have been
valuable to our genes.  keith

I don't think you even have to go so far as to attribute anything to
genetics.  A baby starts learning that there are hierarchies in the world
from the first.  Later he learns that there are higher authorities than his
parents, such as their parents or bosses.  By simple projection, there can
be figures higher than that and even quoted, such as "Well, Grandpa used to
say........"  What are the authorities for the highest figures in the
tribe:  gods.

So acceptance of a god or gods is just the extension of acceptance of
earthly authority.  No need for a push from genetics.

A far more difficult thing, in my opinion, is the origin of the concept of
the immortal soul.  I am working on that one.

bill w